Norrlandsoperan is seeking to appoint the position of Artistic Director, Opera Department. Are you an experienced leader with deep knowledge of opera and musical drama, with a corresponding national and international network? Are you an innovative, creative, collaborative person with highly structured administrative skills? Then maybe you are the new Artistic Director for the Opera Department at Norrlandsoperan.
Norrlandsoperan, situated in Umeå, is home to a symphony orchestra, opera, arts, dance and music departments, serving the vast county of Västerbotten. Norrlandsoperan is owned by Region Västerbotten and Umeå Municipality. Norrlandsoperans’ mission is to produce, promote, strengthened and develop opera, musical theatre, music, dance, performance and art. Norrlandsoperan produces 2-3 modern and high-quality opera productions per year, one of which tours in the north of Sweden. The mission as Artistic Director Opera is to continue to produce opera and musical drama through developing Norrlandsoperans’ repertoire, build new audiences and create new and exciting partnerships. Children and young people are a priority group for Norrlandsoperan.
As Artistic Director of the Opera Department you will have artistic responsibility for opera productions and personnel responsibility for the department’s employees. You will ensure the opera productions hold the highest possible international quality and you will have foremost responsibility for roll casting. You will be responsible for operational and budget planning and follow up. You will be part of Norrlandsoperans’ management team and report directly to the CEO. The role also involves continuing to develop cooperation and collaboration between departments (opera, orchestra, music and dance). Together with the CEO, your role includes finding and initiating new partnerships locally, nationally and internationally.
You will be responsible for external monitoring and analysis of the culture sector and work in close collaboration with the CEO, chief conductor, Head of Music and Orchestra Manager and other department heads.
The Opera Department personnel consists of a choir master (adult choir), choir master (children’s choir), producers, stage manager, repetiteur and opera singer.
- Lead and develop the Opera Department, artistically, operationally and administratively.
- Operational planning and budget control.
- Overall artistic planning in collaboration with fellow artistic managers and the CEO.
- Lead and develop the profiling of Norrlandsoperans’ offering of musical drama.
- Develop collaboration forms and projects with fellow departmental artistic managers.
- Develop and initiate local, national and international partnerships, in collaboration with the CEO.
- Lead and develop forms to ensure booking singers, performers and conductors of the highest possible level.
- Lead and develop NO Play, social media and other channels for increased public awareness and access to Norrlandsoperan.
We are seeking to appoint a mature leader with a deep footing in the opera world. We lay heavy consideration on your creative, communicative and administrative skills. It is of paramount importance that you have experience of operative work with the general public in focus.
- The leadership role suits you and you have proven results of this from previous employment.
- You have up to date knowledge of both Swedish and international singers and a large contact network in this area.
- You put the general public in focus.
- You are an innovative person and strive to find new ways to develop opera.
- You have training, background and a long-term experience of opera and/or other musical areas Administration and leadership qualification/experience carry weight.
- You have good social and communicative skills and thrive in a team situation.
- You are a structured person.
- Swedish and English fluent, both writing and speaking.