Norrlandsoperan seeks realistic visionary
Norrlandsoperan in Umeå, is a performing arts venue featuring a symphony orchestra, opera, dance, music, art with own workshops, studios and four stages. Based on the vision “Norrlandsoperan – a platform for new expressions”, Norrlandsoperan shall seek and open new artistic paths, reach new audience groups, inspire for engagement and be part of current debates in society and the performing arts field.
Norrlandsoperan is owned by Region Västerbotten and Umeå Municipality. Its mission is to produce, promote, strengthen and develop opera, musical theatre, music, dance, performance and art. Norrlandsoperan’s regional music mission is to support and develop the region’s musical landscape as well as to develop, innovate and contribute to accessibility of the professional performing arts in the region of Västerbotten.
In 2018, Norrlandsoperan started to implement new structures in the organization and is now looking forward to renewing and deepening its profil. We are now seeking to employ a new Artistic Director Opera. Alongside the Artistic Directors from the Dance and Music departments, the – Artistic Director Opera will develop Norrlandsoperan’s overall artistic profile and future strategies.
Norrlandsoperan creates modern and high-quality opera productions that toe the line between classic and avantgarde. To date, Norrlandsoperan produces 2-3 major opera productions per year, one of which tours in northern Sweden, as well as working with a number of pedagogical projects. Its mission involves further promoting the art of opera by revising and developing Norrlandsoperan’s repertoire, and thinking in new formats and engaging in new collaborations. There is a major focus on initatives for young audiences.
As Artistic Director Opera, you have artistic responsibility for the Opera Department’s productions and are also responsible for the staff of the Opera Department, including all permanent and freelance employees. You are responsible for budget and operational planning and follow-up, and are part of Norrlandsoperans management team.
You contribute to the development of a vivid opera and music field from a local, regional, national and international perspective.
The Opera Department consists of the Chorus Master of the Norrlandsoperan Choir, the Children’s Chorus Master and Children’s Choir, producers, a stage manager, a répétiteur and an opera singer.
We are looking for you:
- who loves both classic and innovative opera in both large and small formats
- with the will and ability to drive artistic development and interest in cultural, political and social issues
- with in-depth musical knowledge and relevant higher education in opera and Western classical music
- who has a broad artistic interest in a range of contemporary performing arts genres
- who wishes to promote equality and diversity
- with experience of working in leadership positions
- with experience of working in a similar field or institution
- who has an extensive network of contacts in the European opera/music field
- with experience in initiating both national and international collaborations
- who is a teamplayer
- who is outgoing and has very good communication skills
- who has a very good knowledge of spoken and written English. Proficiency in Swedish, Norwegian or Danish is a “plus”
The start date of the position will be decided by agreement. Appointment is for a fixed term, with the possibility of extension.
More information about Norrlandsoperan
Submit your application, containing your CV, letter of motivation and contact information by January 24, 2019, via email to: email@example.com
Specify the position for which you are applying for in the subject field.
Inquiries about the position are answered by
CEO and Managing Director: Anna Göransdotter Höög, +46(0)70–881 99 96 firstname.lastname@example.org
Acting Artistic Director and Artististic Director Dance: Birgit Berndt, +46(0)70-343 13 83 email@example.com
Working time/duration Term position, Temporary full-time appointment. Salary by agreement
SYMF: Orvar Johansson, firstname.lastname@example.org
DIK: Clara West, email@example.com
TF: Susanna Levonen, firstname.lastname@example.org